Sweet & Sour Chicken
Hits the spot of a takeaway without any ingredient "unknowns", and your kids will love it.
3 large chicken breasts
1 egg white
3 tablespoon corn starch, divided
salt & pepper
1/4 cup oil (high smoke point)
1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
2 bell peppers roughly chopped
1 cup fresh pineapple large dice
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons water
sesame seeds for garnish
1. In a bowl whip the egg white until frothy then add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and salt. Chop chicken breasts into bite size pieces and add to the mixture. It should create a batter but you don't want it to be too runny so add more cornstarch as needed. Set aside.
2. Whisk the ginger, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, cornstarch and water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok on medium high and cook the chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Use a spoon to separate them out as they tend to stick together. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
4. Pour the hot oil into a can or heat proof jar and then use the remaining bit of oil in the pan to sauté the onions, followed by the peppers and last the pineapple until everything is cooked through but still has some crunch. This is a good time to aslo add any green veggies your kids like (broccoli, snowpeas, etc.) Add the sauce and let it cook and thicken a bit then toss in the crispy chicken pieces to coat.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with brown or white basmati rice.
Serves 4 large portions. 325 calories per portion of which 24g of protein, 22g of carbs and 10g of fat.