Aubergine & Tomato Shakshuka
You can make this with any vegetable you like if you're not a fan of aubergines - I just love the texture of the aubergine with the egg, feta and tomatoes. This is by no means a traditional recipe - I just hate jiggly egg whites so this is how I've adapted the cooking process for my personal preferences.
large aubergine cut into 1 inch chunks
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup crumbled feta
handful of chopped Italian parsley or fresh herbs of choice
1. Preheat the oven to broil. In an oven safe frying pan, heat the oil on medium-high heat and then add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the aubergine pieces and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and stir for another minute and season with salt & pepper, chilli flakes, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for about 7-8 minutes then make a well with your spoon and crack your eggs into them one by one. (If your sauce is too thick, just loosen it with a splash of water.) Season the eggs with salt & pepper.
5. Continue to simmer until just before the eggs are cooked to your liking.
6. Crumble feta cheese on top and place under the broiler just long enough to remove any jiggle from the whites but still keep the yokes gooey (if that's how you like them).
7. Top with fresh parsley or any other fresh herbs you like.
8. Delicious served with toasted pita, baguette or on its own.